The key to my effectiveness is a collaborative and professional relationship with the House of Representatives leadership and my fellow legislators. Public policy initiatives are a reflection of values, and programs are evidence of an agenda. But, the funding of these priorities is the critical differential that turns pledge into fulfillment and rhetoric into conviction.
Since I took my first oath of office in January 2011, I pledged to make public safety, jobs, the environment, commerce and the economy, and critical social services programs my priorities.
This year, I am pleased to report the following accomplishments that underscore my conviction and fulfill that pledge.
- Secured $2million in firefighter training funds to deal with hazardous materials and incidents involving weapons of mass destruction.
- Played a key role in the Convention Center expansion legislation that will create 4700 construction jobs and 2100 permanent hospitality industry jobs and will stimulate over $700million per year in economic benefits to our area.
- Secured $20million in capital improvements to our beaches;
- $500,000 in capital improvements to the Harry McDonough Sailing Center; and
- Set up a commission to study noise and air pollution around the expansion of the Conley and Black Falcon Terminals.
Commerce and the Economy
- Secured $65million to dredge Boston Harbor to make it the port of choice for commerce and recreation;
- $75million for roadways on and near the UMass Boston campus;
- $30million to improve South Station; and
- $25million for transportation improvements in South Boston and the Waterfront.
- $1.5million directly to South Boston programs and services including: substance abuse prevention and treatment funds to the Gavin House, the Collaborative Center, and the Answer House; youth and family development programs and services including the LaBoure Center, Julie’s Family Learning, the South Boston Community Health Center’s Youth Ambassadors, and the South Boston Leadership Initiative; also
- New funding for South Boston En Accion received for the implementation of leadership training programs,
- Language immersion classes, ESOL classes and instruction in STEM studies for youth and families.